Here is part deux of the series I
made up introduced yesterday – Entertaining in the Empire City.
The question: “When you have visitors in NYC, what are the five places (restaurants, bars, etc.) you MUST take them?”
The answerer: my pal Mike, who currently resides in LA. I had the good fortune of befriending Mike a few years ago in between folding heaps of Joe’s Jeans, color-coding sock walls and opening fitting room doors for
cheap men price-conscious shoppers at a former job. Simply put, Mike’s the best. I trust his fashion sense tenfold over my own. His sarcasm and wit are constantly on point, and he’s one of the most genuine people I have ever met. Also, I think that it’s a universally accepted truth that you haven’t lived until Mike’s called you a bitch. He uses that word better than anyone I know and it’s hilarious and honest (and warranted) every single time.
Mike’s answers: I should note that he mentioned, “I had a hard time sticking to 5 places.” Here’s what made the cut:
- The Room, Soho: Chillest bar ever.
- The Heights Bar & Grill, Morningside Heights: Cannot miss the happy hour on their rooftop.
- The Sixth Ward, Lower East Side: $20 for brunch with unlimited mimosas.
- Raines Law Room, Union Square: Really cool speakeasy. Visitors die over this place because they feel like they’re part of some exclusive New York lifestyle. *eye roll*
- Veselka, East Village: Pierogi all day every day. OMG AND MINDY KALING LOVES IT TOO.*
- Koronet Pizza, Morningside Heights: I don’t care what anyone says; this is the best NYC pizza place.
- Spice (Multiple Locations): Delicious Thai food, and they’re all over Manhattan.
- Obviously Shake Shack (Multiple locations): I love taking west coasters here. They’ll never admit it’s better than In-N-Out, but they’ll know it’s true. Just like they won’t admit Disney World is better than Disneyland. “You just can’t compare the two,” they say. YEAH, BECAUSE DISNEY WORLD IS THAT MUCH BETTER.
*see Mindy Kaling’s Instagram for further information.