For obvious reasons, last years Fall TV Preview post was one of my favorite things to research. I love autumn for so may reasons (see: the PSL, fall fashion, football, sweater-weather, and so on…), BUT a new television season
just may be is without a doubt my favorite. So without further ado, here’s what’s lighting my fire this ’14-15 season! [All times are listed in EST.]
- The Mindy Project (FOX), Tuesdays at 9:30pm. Mindy and Danny are a couple now, haters! Also: Adam Pally and Ike Barinholtz are comedic geniuses – show me a scene that holds a candle to the “You’ve Got Sext” texting exchanges, and I’ll… figure out a better way to end this sentence. Season three premieres TONIGHT – September 16th.
- Modern Family (ABC), Wednesdays at 9pm. Cam and Mitch are finally married. Haley and Andy are still not dating. So many cast members, so little time (but, not really, because popularity and awards). What will happen next?! Season six premieres September 24th.
- Mom (CBS), Mondays at 8:30pm. With Anna Faris and Allison Janney in the lead, Mom is my guilty pleasure. Season two premieres September 29th.
- New Girl (FOX), Tuesdays at 9pm. Jess and Nick are over. So are Cece and Schmidt. Here’s to hoping this season will bring us back to the quirkiness and originality of season one, since any hope of romance has been formally denied for the time being. Season four premieres TONIGHT – September 16th.
- Parenthood (NBC), Thursdays at 10pm. Amber is prego! Haddie is gay! The greatest and most underrated television couple of all time (Julia and Joel) are finally back on the right track. In its final season, all of our characters growing up and moving on – which is, I suppose what happens in real life. Poignant, but needed. The final season premieres September 25th.
- Parks and Recreation (NBC), scheduling TBD. It’s the final season for Leslie Knope et al. in Pawnee. If the last three minutes of season six was any indication, it looks like we’re in for quite the ride for season seven. Final season premiere date is TBD.
New shows that I’ll be tuning in to:
- A to Z (NBC), Thursdays at 9:30pm. Because, no offense, Cristin Mioloti deserves better than a HIMYM sequel. Pair her with Adam Feldman and create a 500 Days of Summer style rom-com television program, and I’m all ears. Premieres October 2nd.
- Bad Judge (NBC), Thursdays at 9pm. I mean, you had me at Kate Walsh. This premise [a well-respected criminal court judge whose personal life is a falling apart hot mess] sounds like a hot mess in itself. BUT said premise has worked a thousand times over (i.e. Grey’s Anatomy, The Mindy Project, etc.). Sooo here’s to hoping Kate can work her magic and make this happen. Premieres October 2nd.
- Marry Me (NBC), Tuesdays at 9pm. Casey Wilson is a goddess and Ken Marino is also fine. The light-hearted premise (re: unfortunate engagement) is silly and rom-commy, but something tells me these comedy die-hards (CW just off Happy Endings and KM of Party Down fame) wouldn’t have signed up for something that wasn’t worth their time and talent. Premieres October 14th.
- Mulaney (FOX). My roommates and I have deemed this “New Seinfield.” As all of my roommates are Friends folks, that isn’t necessarily a compliment. Regardless, I’ll give any sitcom a shot, and with Fox’s sitcom track record and Mulaney’s writing cred (he co-created SNL’s Stefon!), my verdict is that this is worth checking out. Premieres Sunday, October 5th.
- Red Band Society (FOX), Wednesdays at 9pm. Set in the children’s ward of an LA hospital, this drama features a motley crue of young patients, craving normalcy while literally fighting for their lives. It sounds out of the box, and if written and acted well, very tear-inducing, so I’m interested to what direction this will take. Premieres September 17th.